I think it's good to discuss their issues from a cyclist point of view, and to answer a poll on what annoys cyclists.
|Cyclist on Theobald Road by|
Basher Eyre via Wikimedia Commons
- Flaunting traffic laws - Guilty as charged, cyclists do ignore traffic laws. The most common violation is the ignoring of the stop signs and red lights. Actually, NY Magazine counted the red light offenders on different intersections in New York. with the best results being 33% of cyclists stopping at red lights. From the photos in that article I can add that the percentage probably increased only when pretty people of the opposite sex were crossing the street :)
- Arrogance and Elitism - Why, because cyclists are arrogant while using the street? Any person who has achieved a higher level of knowledge, proficiency and/or stamina to do any activity at an advanced level has worked for and earned bragging rights. It goes for athletes, scientists, musicians, anything really. The only reason that cyclists seem to bother people more is because they see them on the street. And the annoyed ones are the drivers who think that the streets were given only to them by their respective gods! Now who's the arrogant one?
- Terrorize others on multi-use paths - Goes either way. Every user of a multi-use path seems to think the path is made just for them. A roller skater thinks that a recreation track is actually a 'rollerblading' track, joggers think that it's a jogging track, cyclists think that it's a cycling track... It's a multi-use track, and nobody is there to terrorize anyone. It's not the track for your private enjoyment, live with it!
- Equipment and attire - Really? If someone gets annoyed by other people for what they are wearing, whether their bikes have cyclo-computers than he/she has a lot of pressing issues to address with their therapist.
- Road cyclists are awesome - Agreed, no argument there :)